Legion Leader Hails Supreme Court Decision on Mojave Cross as Victory for Common Sense

Legion Leader Hails Supreme Court Decision on Mojave Cross as Victory for Common Sense

WASHINGTON, April 28 /Christian Newswire/ — The national commander of The American Legion today hailed the 5-4 decision of the Supreme court reversing a lower court decision that could have required the removal of a cross that has stood in the Mojave National Preserve for more than 75 years.

“I commend the court for its decision that finally restores common sense that will enable this symbol to stand proudly as intended — a tribute to honor American soldiers who died in World War I,” said National Commander Clarence E. Hill. “This is a landmark decision that not only preserves the Mojave Desert cross, but also helps protect all memorials to our fallen heroes.”

The American Legion joined as an amicus curiae (friend of the court) in action favoring preservation of the monument that resulted in the case being argued before the U.S. Supreme Court last year.

“The court reaffirmed the will of the people through Congress, which passed legislation to accommodate the cross,” Hill said. “The cross should remain because Congress transferred a small plot on which it stands to a private group and addressed constitutional concerns.”

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the ruling, “The goal of avoiding governmental endorsement does not require eradication of all religious symbols in the public realm. Here one Latin cross in the desert evokes far more than religion. It evokes thousands of small crosses in foreign fields marking the graves of Americans who fell in battles, battles whose tragedies are compounded if the fallen are forgotten.”

However, the battle may not be entirely over. The Court remanded the case to the U.S. District Court to give it a chance to see if any other legal alternatives exist. However, the High Court reminded the District Court that: “Respect for a coordinate branch of Government forbids striking down an Act of Congress except upon a clear showing of unconstitutionality.”

The cross will remain covered pending the District Court’s review.

“The American Legion will continue to fight for the values and freedoms veterans gave their lives for,” Hill said.

With a membership of 2.5-million wartime veterans, The American Legion was founded in 1919 on the four pillars of a strong national security, veterans affairs, Americanism, and patriotic youth programs. Legionnaires work for the betterment of their communities through more than 14,000 posts across the nation.

A high resolution photo of National Commander Hill and more information on this story is available at http://www.legion.org

3mnewswswire.org

In God We Trust Calls on President to Celebrate National Day of Prayer Despite Court Ruling

In God We Trust Calls on President to Celebrate National Day of Prayer Despite Court Ruling

MEDIA ADVISORY, April 16 /Christian Newswire/ — The national advocacy group In God We Trust today called on the Obama Administration to continue to vigorously defend the National Day of Prayer in court and for the President to issue the traditional Presidential proclamation next month despite a court ruling yesterday that the National Day of Prayer was unconstitutional.

“Prayer is never unconstitutional,” says Bishop Council Nedd, In God We Trust’s National Chairman. “American Presidents have led this nation in prayer since its founding. Yesterday’s court ruling declaring the National Day of Prayer unconstitutional is one of the most egregious examples of out of control judges making law from the bench. To say the President of the United States cannot say a prayer, or lead the nation that elected him in prayer, is violating his first amendment rights. Celebrating the National Day of Prayer does not force anyone to believe in anything. It is simply recognizing the fact that an overwhelming number of Americans believe in God and that prayer plays an important role in American culture. The Administration must appeal this decision and the President should still issue the traditional proclamation next May. Anything less will be considered a slap in the face to American people.”

The lawsuit that resulted in yesterday’s ruling was filed by the Freedom from Religion Foundation, the nation’s preeminent atheist group. The FfRF is a member organization of the Secular Coalition of America whose representatives met with members of the White House political staff last February. “I hope the President will stand up to his atheist allies and stand up for the American people by defending the National Day of Prayer,” Nedd says.

In God We Trust is a national political advocacy organization with over 70,000 supporters of various faiths. Council Nedd is a traditional Episcopal priest and serves as the Bishop of the Chesapeake and Northeast for the Episcopal Missionary Church. On the Internet: http://www.InGodWeTrustUSA.org

3mnewswire.org

Judge Bans National Day of Prayer: Sign Free Petition to Obama

Judge Bans National Day of Prayer: Sign Free Petition to Obama

MEDIA ADVISORY, April 16 /Christian Newswire/ — Federal Judge Barbara Crabb ruled in favor of atheist complainers at the Freedom from Religion Foundation, that government recognition of prayer violates the First Amendment. Crabb claimed her decision “carries out the Founders’ plan of preserving religious liberty to the fullest extent possible in a pluralistic society,” proving she actually believes the Founding Fathers, who prayed to the Judeo-Christian God in Congress, would now suddenly oppose public acts of prayer.

The Pray In Jesus Name Project, led by Chaplain Gordon James Klingenschmitt, has already gathered several thousand paper and electronic petition signatures asking President Obama to defend and reinstate public observance of the National Day of Prayer, which Congress created in 1952.

To sign the FREE petition asking President Obama to reinstate NDOP, visit: http://tinyurl.com/obamapray

. Please also help our petition go viral by tweeting these words on Twitter/Facebook: “Sign Free Petition: Ask President Obama to reinstate the National Day of Prayer. http://tinyurl.com/obamapray

. Please re-tweet many times.”

But thus far, White House officials have not yet agreed to meet with Chaplain Klingenschmitt, or receive his petitions. Please call the White House at 202-456-1111 to leave a comment for Joshua Dubois, leader of Obama’s faith initiative.

“As a former Navy Chaplain who was punished for praying ‘in Jesus name’ in uniform,” said Klingenschmitt, “I will be joining thousands of people and scores of national ministry leaders at the MayDay2010.org

event on May 1st, to pray at the Lincoln Memorial. I hereby invite President Obama to come pray with us, and receive our petitions in person that day.”

The MayDay2010.org prayer rally at the Lincoln Memorial on May 1st is is endorsed by James Dobson, Tim Wildmon, Dutch Sheets, Cindy Jacobs, Janet Porter, Rick Scarborough, Mat Staver, 5 Congressmen, and many others.

Chaplain Klingenschmitt may participate in a press conference late next week outside the White House, but is available now for news interviews, at 719-360-5132, or email chaplaingate@yahoo.com.

3mnewswire.org

Frauen und Kinder zum Welt-Frauen-Tag „geschlachtet“

Frauen und Kinder zum Welt-Frauen-Tag „geschlachtet“

Krieg der Religionen: Überlebende berichten moslemische Extremisten seien für die Taten verantwortlich

Von Andreas Klamm Sabaot

Lagos / Nigeria. 8. März 2010. Bis zu 200 Menschen, andere Quellen sprechen bereits von bis zu 500 Menschen, Frauen und Kinder wurden zum Welt-Frauen-Tag in christlichen Dörfern in der Regional-Hauptstadt Jos in Nigeria möglicherweise von moslemischen Extremisten mit Macheten und Messern „abgeschlachtet“ berichten Überlebende, Zeugen und Reporter aus Nigeria.

Einwohner der Stadt Dogo Nahawa informierten darüber, dass nicht identifizierte bewaffnete Milizen die Städte umstellten, stürmten und bereits am Sonntag die Menschen mit Schüssen in die Luft aus den Häusern trieben, die angezündet wurden. Die Kinder, Frauen und Männern seien dann von den Tätern mit Macheten und Messern angegeriffen und „geschlachtet“ worden.

Bei den Massen-Morden wurden nach Zeugen-Berichten auch viele Kinder und Frauen getötet. Ein Reporter berichtete von der Hinrichtung eines 4-Tage jungen Baby´s.

Ein Reporter von Voice of America (VOA) sagte bereits zuvor, er habe im Süden der Stadt Jos mindestens 100 tote Menschen gezählt. Die Häuser der Menschen christlichen Glaubens wurden niedergebrannt. Bereits vor einiger Zeit kam es zu Gewaltakten in ähnlicher Weise in den Städten Ratsat und Zot.

Der amtierende Präsident Jonathan Goodluck versetzte die Sicherheits-Kräfte in Plateau Stadt in erhöhte Alarmbereitschaft. Die Sicherheits-Kräfte und das Militär hätten jedoch nicht in das Geschehen eingegriffen, berichten Zeugen. Dennoch wolle man die weitere Ausbreitung von Gewalt verhindern, ließ die Regierung in einer Erklärung mitteilen.

Die Massen-Morde von Sonntag und Montag seien ein Zeichen für die religiöse Gewalt in einer Region, die einst als beliebste Reise-Ziel für Touristen in Nigera bekannt war.

Mehr als 300 Menschen starben bereit im Januar bei Kämpfen zwischen Menschen moslemischen Glaubens und christlichen Glaubens. In religiösen Kämpfen wurden im Jahr 2001 mehr als 1.000 Menschen, im Jahr 2004 bis zu 700 Menschen und im Jahr 2008 in religiösen Kämpfen zwischen verfeindeten Moslems und Christen 200 Menschen getötet.

Ein Leiter der moslemischen Gemeinde machte zum Vorwurf, dass diese frisch verbrannte Schweine-Köpfe in einer Moschee gefunden hätten während der Kämpfe im Januar. Die Wände der Moschee seien mit Schweine-Blut bemalt worden. Dagegen befürchten Leiter christlicher Einrichtungen man wolle mit den Akten der Gewalt Islamisches Recht in der Region einführen.

Die Stadt Jos befindet sich im mittleren „Gürtel“ von Nigeria, in dem zahlreiche ethnische Gruppen unter instabilen Bedingungen im Land leben. Der Norden des Landes wird überwiegend von moslemischen Gläubigen beherrscht, während im Süden des Landes eine Mehrheit von christlichen Gläubigen besteht.

Nach den Massen-Morden vom Wochenende war zunächst nicht sicher wer für das „Abschlachten“ von Kindern, Frauen, Babies und Männer verantwortlich war. Ein Reporter der Nachrichten-Agentur Associated Press berichete davon, dass überlebende Menschen die Angreifer als „Hausa“ und „Fulani“ beschrieben haben sollen – das bedeutet in der lokalen Landes-Sprache, dass es sich um moslemische Täter gehandelt haben könnte. Beobachter befürchten weitere Ausschreitungen der Gewalt. Mehrere Hundert Menschen seien auf der Flucht.